Contact: +91-9711224068
International Journal of Applied Research
  • Multidisciplinary Journal
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

ISSN Print: 2394-7500, ISSN Online: 2394-5869, CODEN: IJARPF

Impact Factor: RJIF 8.4

International Journal of Applied Research

Vol. 2, Issue 5, Part O (2016)

Association between depression and joint pains in elderly in a rural population of Wardha district

Author(s)
Deepti Chandrakar, Manish Prasad, Meenakshi Khapre, Abhay Mudey, Vasant Wagh and Smrutiranjan Nayak
Abstract
Introduction: Rapid population aging in developing countries and the accompanying increase in numbers of people with aging-related diseases pose a serious challenge to health services, including mental health services [1]. Depression is a common mental disorder that puts constraints on quality of life among older adult individuals [2].
Aim: To study the association between depression and Joint Pains in elderly in a rural population of Wardha district.
Study setting: A cross sectional study for one and half month and a health check up was done on elderly patients who complained of Joint ache, visiting the primary health centre in Deoli block, of Wardha district.
Result: Response to Geriatric depression scale short form (GDS-SF) showed that 13.95% male and 16.27% female belonged to group ‘suggestive of depression’. It was observed in the study that 2.32% male and female were depressed. Total depression in female was more (18.60%) than males (16.27%).
Conclusion: Prevalence of depression was found to be 4.65% and 30.23% had features ‘suggestive of depression'.
Pages: 996-999  |  661 Views  15 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Deepti Chandrakar, Manish Prasad, Meenakshi Khapre, Abhay Mudey, Vasant Wagh, Smrutiranjan Nayak. Association between depression and joint pains in elderly in a rural population of Wardha district. Int J Appl Res 2016;2(5):996-999.
Call for book chapter
International Journal of Applied Research