Contact: +91-9711224068
International Journal of Applied Research
  • Multidisciplinary Journal
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

ISSN Print: 2394-7500, ISSN Online: 2394-5869, CODEN: IJARPF

IMPACT FACTOR (RJIF): 8.4

Vol. 4, Issue 3, Part G (2018)

Bacteriological profile and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of aerobic bacteria isolated from blood stream of septicemic newborn admitted in NICU in tertiary care hospital of Bikaner

Bacteriological profile and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of aerobic bacteria isolated from blood stream of septicemic newborn admitted in NICU in tertiary care hospital of Bikaner

Author(s)
Dr. Mohd. Salim Jajodia, Dr. Anjli Gupta, Dr. Geeta Tinna and Dr. Braham Prakash Sharma
Abstract
Aims & Objective: To determine causative aerobic bacteria and their antibiotic susceptibility pattern in cases of neonatal sepsis admitted in NICU of PBM & associated group of hospitals, Sardar Patel Medical College, Bikaner.
Materials & Method: Out of 9975 live born babies delivered at women hospital of PBM and associated group of hospitals, Blood culture samples were collected from 330 clinically suspected cases of neonatal sepsis, admitted in NICU during the period from July 2016 to June 2017. The blood samples were inoculated into Brain Heart Infusion Broth for aerobic culture and subcultures were performed on Blood agar, Mackonkey agar. The isolated microorganisms were identified as per standard protocol and antibiotic sensitivity pattern determined by using Kirby Bauer disc diffusion method on MHA as per CLSI guidelines.
Results: Out of 9975 cases incidence rate of neonatal sepsis was 1.87%. Neonatal sepsis observed more common in male 110(58.82%) than female 77(41.17%).Early onset sepsis (EOS) was found in 104(55.61%) cases whereas the rest 83(44.38%) cases were of Late onset sepsis (LOS). Staphylococcus aureus 70(37.43%) and Klebsiella pneumonia 19(10.16%) were the most common gram positive and Gram negative bacteria causing neonatal sepsis respectively. Gram positive bacteria were highly sensitive to vancomycin and shows poor sensitivity against azithromycin, cefpodoxime and cefotaxime. Gram negative bacteria were highly sensitive to meropenem & poor sensitive against ampicillin, cefazolin, cefaperazone and amoxyclav. Out of the 70 isolates of COPS 50% were MRSA. ESBL production was seen in 33.33% of E. coli and 26.31% of Klebsiella pneumoniae.
Conclusion: Empirical treatment of neonatal sepsis wit ampicillin, azithromycin, cefpodoxime, cefotaxime, cefazolin, cefoperazone, and amoxiclav in NICU of PBM Hospital Bikaner must be reconsidered. Determination of sensitivity pattern of isolates to formulate policy to use antibiotics in NICU emphasized.
Pages: 462-466  |  887 Views  78 Downloads


International Journal of Applied Research
How to cite this article:
Dr. Mohd. Salim Jajodia, Dr. Anjli Gupta, Dr. Geeta Tinna, Dr. Braham Prakash Sharma. Bacteriological profile and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of aerobic bacteria isolated from blood stream of septicemic newborn admitted in NICU in tertiary care hospital of Bikaner. Int J Appl Res 2018;4(3):462-466.
Call for book chapter
International Journal of Applied Research
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals